Tuesday 25 September 2012

Introductions and Aims

I have a clue on what I'm going to do...But it isn't pretty.



Introductions and Aims –

 I have chosen to showcase Punk and Pop-Punk as my main genres for my music magazine. The main demographic that I have found to be interested with this type of genre are usually 16 to 25 year olds, as the genre consists of themes and subjects that are unsuitable for younger audiences. Also, the genre promotes rebellion and conflict, which teens can relate to. This also relates to the reason why this magazine type also tries to target males, as these are more masculine interests rather then feminine ones. However, this does not mean that the genre does not feature females at all, as there were quite a few magazines showcasing ‘Paramore’, a band, which it’s main singer, is a woman. This could represent feminists, a type of rebellion in itself.
         I have mainly found this information, as well as my main inspirations, from the magazine ‘Kerrang’. A quite heavy and dark magazine focusing on Punk and Rock bands like ‘Green Day’, ‘Slipknot’ and ‘You me at six’. The magazine has a precise niche audience, as many of these bands have the same amount of fans. This is due to Punk and Pop-Punk being enjoyed to only certain type of people, unlike pop. So this is what I must also do in my magazine.
The magazine cover features the main headliner band on the front cover with a large bold headline across them. But it also show smaller images on cover stories, unless the issue was a special edition, then the cover would only largely feature the headliner band. The typography was quite sharp, bold and aggressive, emitting the theme of conflict once again; the images of the band would usually complement this by looking intimidating so that it would blend in with the titles. This relates how the magazine cover subjects also overlap across each other, making the page look busy and messy. I will also try to focus on keeping the theme in my magazine as well, like ‘Kerrang’ has, so the magazine would look professional and appropriate to my target audience.
My magazine must showcase a band, as bands are mainly consisted in the Punk and Pop-Punk genre. I plan to make the band resemble artists like ‘All Time Low’ and ‘Paramore’. As their themes are more low-key rather then wearing dark demonic costumes like ‘Slipknot’, since I do not have the props/equipment to accomplish such a task. ‘All Time Low’ usually focuses on mainly showcasing teenage rebellion, whilst ‘Paramore’ likes to focus it on religious beliefs and various other related subjects. I have planned out two different styles (which may be subject to change) for the magazine. One style includes a strange mysterious dream-like setting the woods, trying to re-create the outlaw style of ‘Robin Hood’ and roadside thieves. The other theme showcases a more urban theme, related to TV propaganda.
For my photo shoot, I will feature my models in normal clothes, with only minimum make-up. This is because I want the cover band to be as relatable as possible. My main shot for the Urban theme would have the models sitting, I will Photoshop the image and have them sitting on illustrated TVs. As for the Fantasy theme, I will try to have the models give intimidating poses on top of low trees, giving a sense of ‘rebels’ and ‘outlaws’. Whichever one I like the most I will use. (however this is also still subject to change.)
The feature article will be a question and answer type interview, where the band members will give their answers individually. For this, I will have to make up a fake band to showcase and find at least two other people. I name I have thought up for this band is ‘The Velvet Room’, a dark colour that can be used in the magazine since it fits the theme.
The typography of the magazine will be sharp and aggressive for the titles and headlines and cover story titles will be in bold. There will be only a limited colour palette, any colour used will be dark and in accordance to the theme. Bright colours will be used to highlight anything interesting to draw the audience’s eye. Most images will be large, bold and loud.
I have decided to name the magazine ‘Friendly Fire’, with the same ‘F’ being used for both words.  I think this fits my demographic, as it is a ironic title, that fits the description of backstabbing, which relates to the rebellion theme of Punk. It’s also intimidating, which matches titles like ‘Heavy Hammer’. 

No comments:

Post a Comment